Tuesday 17 July 2012

Day 7, Bike Lanes in Toronto, Public Works & Infrastructure #MonthInACar

The inspiration for looking this up was the awesome folks at Evergreen, who have this fun awareness campaign called Month In a Car. Toronto has some of the longest commuting times in the world (avg. 80 minutes each day) which adds up to a month in a car every year.

That. Is. Sad.

But what can I do about it? I already live downtown so most of my travel is walking or public transit. I've wanted to get into cycling a bit more (as opposed to the bus or subway), but it kind of scares me. Even with the cool new Bixi bike commuting program.

Then I learned from Cycle Toronto that the City is seriously thinking about creating some new, improved bike lanes down Wellesley St. There will be more space and possibly some physical barriers separating cyclists from traffic.

Check it out:
Source: http://www.toronto.ca/cycling/wellesley/images/concept_sketch.jpg


This is exactly the type of thing that would make me cycle more

Cycle Toronto recommends writing to The City and the Public Works and Infrastructure Committee. So that's where my next two letters are going.
Also, if your Councillors are Councillor Vaughan, Councillor Wong-Tam or Councillor McConnell, you can easily contact them by clicking their names above to let them know if you support these lanes.

Here's the letter to Public Works and Infrastructure Committee.

Poorly trying to explain my logic as I wrote the thoughts in my head. They'll get the general idea.


Sent to the following address found on their website (hope it's the right one)
Candy Davidovits
10th floor, West Tower, City Hall
100 Queen Street West
Toronto, ON M5H 2N2

Update: Cylce Toronto kindly provided the e-mail address if you want to email Public Works and Infrastructure but aren't as keen to send snail mail: pwic@toronto.ca




2 comments: