Sunday 15 July 2012

Day 6, Park, please! Mayor Froese of Langley BC

This popped up in my Facebook newsfeed from a friend in BC:




Did a bit of research, this cause is pretty simple – trees! The local government wanted to sell some land and use the money for some (albeit useful) investments such as a new community centre.

Because of citizens sending letters, calling, and posting on the township Facebook wall, they have compromised and are selling just over half of it.

Langley citizens are now trying to make the unsold area into a protected park, so that in the future they don’t have to risk it going up for sale again.

A fairly local issue, but BC is beautiful and I don’t mind supporting others working to keep it that way. Many of the trees are 100 years old and are probably contributing to many ecosystem services in the area such as keeping the air clean and providing habitat for wildlife.

Plus, I don’t feel like looking much further beyond my Facebook news feed today for something to write about.

I have a lot of leftover stickers that my mom bought me a while ago. Might as well jazz some of these letters up, although it probably doesn't do many favours re: credibility.





2 comments:

  1. brilliant! thank you for your support!! i hope your words reach through their hearts and convince them to make it a park.


    ~erin, a friend of mclellan park (those are my two boys in the ad you posted and saw on FB :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Erin! And thanks for raising your two boys to appreciate beautiful BC!!

      Delete